Thursday, November 22, 2012

No One Ever Died of Loneliness

I often have deep thoughts in the shower. I suspect many do. Today's musings included thoughts about family, friends, and life, as well as wondering what we would be eating today if turkeys were better at flying. I also thought: you know, I have a lot of single friends. They probably get lonely like I do. In fact, they probably have the same kinds of feelings and experiences I do.

This led to a revelation: if you're alone today, you're not alone. 



So, all of you who read this: know that there are others who have the same experiences and feelings, and are having them right now. Somewhere, out there, someone is going to a Thanksgiving dinner with family and cousins and siblings who will be bringing their boyfriends and girlfriends and husbands and wives and wondering how long they will be the odd one out. Someone else is just sick and tired of having parents ask them when they can expect some grandchildren. And surely someone is completely disgusted at hearing, "You're a great person, I'm sure you'll find someone someday," for the thirty eight billion thousandth time.

The truth is, there's no guarantee there's someone out there for you. Hell, there's no guarantee you won't get hit by a bus tomorrow, or get a horrible wasting disease, or get exposed to gamma rays and develop mutant human strength and save the world from disaster. There's an important lesson here. Radiation is dangerous people, don't mess around with it.



But the other lesson is this: your life is more than whether you are single or not. I know; sometimes I have even felt as though I'm less than a full person, or there is something terribly wrong with me, or I'm a loser in life because I can't seem to find that other magical human to be with. I don't let those thoughts take hold, I shut them down immediately. You should too.

As I run off to be around friends I am thankful for today, I want to encourage you to, well, as cliche as it sounds: go for your dreams. You can be and do so many things, regardless of having someone you call a mate. Be it. Do it. Smile. You have so much, you have life, live it for all you've got. There's nothing wrong with you for being single, so many of us are with you.... you're not alone.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete