Monday, July 18, 2011

The Magnificent Maelstrom of Fan Boy/Girl Dating! (And other various hyperbole)

There I was. In my underwear, walking around Otakon. And no one noticed...


It didn't happen, but it's possible. Especially because I'm male. Yes, I said it. There's a difference between being a male fanboy and a female fangirl. (Look! He's being redundant already!)

Fangirl not wearing much clothes: 3,000 bois taking pictures of her.

Fanboy not wearing much clothes: ewwww, creeper.

"Wait," you might be thinking, "Who is this guy, anyway? Why am I reading this?"

I am Steve Racer: fanboy, voice and film actor, swordsman, and lifelong geek/gamer/nerd/cosplayer. And you're reading this because the Blue Gremlin of Fate compels you. (I'll post a pic of him in a later blog.)

So, yes, Virginia, there is a great difference between being a fanboy and a fangirl. Now, there's various types of both. Some of them smell funny. Anyway, this is my perspective as a fanboy, and what I have seen of fangirls, and even, crazily enough my advice for both. 


This blog could also be called, "What I Learned Not To Do When Dating Fangirls" but that would be longer and not as catchy as Full Metal Dating. (Don't sue me!)

Recently, I was at Anime Expo, promoting my film Broken Spirits, (AX is a sponsor of the film.) And of course, I had to cosplay. I made myself a 24-hour instant (just add water) Kamina costume (from Gurren Lagann!) I think maybe one person stopped to take my picture. But then I went to a photoshoot and met up with a Yoko (Kamina's love interest. You really should watch the show!) I walked around with Yoko after that.

I mean, I tried to walk. People were taking our picture every few feet. Sometimes I was even in frame!

The Anime Lovebirds
So we were a pretend couple for a while until she had to go change into costume number 396 for the weekend.

Fine, Steve Racer, but what is your POINT?


All right. My point, for this time is: as a fangirl, you usually will have quite a selection of fan guys to pick from. Almost every fan girl I ever meet that I'm interested in (for even a mere flash of a second) is already with someone. Now, I know that maybe in real life (like school, or work) you have trouble finding someone who understands you and at a con you feel like "OMG I'm the QUEEN OF THE BALL!" but what I'm saying is... hold out for someone good. That's all. You don't have to take the first guy that comes along, or even the second!

It's all well and good that he understands you and your fan interests and he's kind of cute and he actually showers sometimes but that does not a good relationship make. What about your values? (No, not your RPG stats.) Your beliefs? (Not your deity in WoW.) Your future plans? (Not "watching all of Bleach.")

What about a guy... who won't lie to you or cheat on you? Whose eyes don't wander at every skimpy costume that goes by? Those are things to look for, right? So, if you like a guy, talk to him about stuff other than fandom. Find out what he believes, but also watch what he does, how he treats others. Stalk him on the internet! Read everything he was dumb enough to make public!

So what if I'm a fanBOY huh?

Man, it sucks to be you.

Trust me, I know. What you can do though is be aware you have competition. There's got to be something about you that stands out, makes you special, to make her pick you above other fan boys. So, be an extraordinary male. Don't just cosplay, or write fanfiction, or whatever you do... do something awesome and unique. Be someone that has an exciting future and can bring something to someone's life besides your fandom, because all fanboys have that. So, hey, reach for the stars. Be amazing, and even if it doesn't land you a fangirl right away, guess what? You'll still be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment