Saturday, September 8, 2012

She hung up when I said I was a Geek

So, yet another girl I had met on OKCupid has been playing phone tag with me for weeks. It's strange because I really don't even use OKCupid for dating but people tend to message me. Regardless, this is what happened when I finally got her on the phone today. (As close as I can remember this is what we said.)

Me: Hi! Glad to finally talk. I wanted to ask why you have a blocked number?

Sue: Well, I get a lot of rude people so they have to earn the privilege to get my main number.

Me: Oh, I see. So what are you looking for in a guy?

Sue: If you read my profile you'd already know that.

Me: Well, I did, but that was about a month ago, remember?

Sue: Well you seemed really interested in me so I've been nice and returning your calls.

Me: Yes, well you actually messaged me first. 

Sue: So what do you look for in a woman?

Me: Well, I'm kind of a geek.

Sue: And you're proud of that?

I think this will go well.
Me: Of course, I love being a geek.

Sue: Why are you proud of being a nerd or a geek?

Me: Well, I just -- I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Sue: Yes, but what are you proud of about being a geek?

Me: Well, I guess I enjoy being able to have fun, intellectual conversations with others about science and science fiction, things like that.

Sue: And you're proud of that.

Me: Well, you can kind of imagine -- have you seen Big Bang Theory? I'm kind of like some of the characters on that show, except I'm more well socially adjusted.

Sue: So you're one of those people that hang around all night waiting for a movie to open, because you have no life.

Me: Well, no I just said, I'm like that except I'm well socially adjusted.

Sue: In your mind.

Me: You can ask my friends, and I have a lot of them --

Sue: Which are all nerds too.

Me: No, I actually have friends from all over the world --

Sue: No, I think you're really a major geek. GOOD-bye.

The good thing is at least this saved me from actually having a date with this woman, can you imagine how awful that would be? And yes, if you imagined her with a snarky, condescending tone in her voice as she talked, you got it right! I feel sorry for the guy she ends up with.

P.S. Stuff! I did go out an a real date with a real geek girl today, but I had to type this phone call out before I forgot any of the precious statements Sue made. So I'll blog about that other stuff soon.


2 comments:

  1. I think you saved yourself a lot of hassle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I went out with the perfect guy for her a couple of years ago, lol.

    ReplyDelete